Liz of Food Snobbery is my Hobbery posted these VeganMoFo questions so I’ve decided to try and fill them out.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I buy Alpro unsweetened, it’s fortified so the boys get extra vitamins and calcium and it’s also only 80p a carton which makes it amongst the cheapest around which is a bonus. I also adore Alpro organic vanilla soya milk (as do the boys), I have to make sure I don’t drink it all up before they get any.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
That all depends on what my organic vegetable box contains this week. I know there will be more seitan to be made (Seitan O’Greatness to be made over the weekend ready for Monday’s dinner) but beyond that I’m really not sure, I’ll post my menus as usual as my veggies arrive.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Soya margarine, salts and nutritional yeast.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I tried to make some lentil burgers from a Rose Elliot recipe once that went so badly wrong I got incredibly angry and actually broke the pen I was writing ‘DOESN’T WORK’ with in huge letters across the recipes. Besides that things go wrong all the time really, I just keep cooking and hope there’s enough good things to balance out the mistakes.
5. Favorite pickled item?
ummm, not really into pickles although I do like bread and butter pickles.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
All my books are on shelves, I have a notebook where I write or stick ones I’ve tried from online or magazines and have liked and I have a folder full of stuff I’ve printed off the internet or ripped out of magazines and want to try (but some of it has been in there for years…).
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
yes, yes and no. We don’t have garbage disposals in this country and the kind of freak me out anyway, the seem kind of dangerous and why would you want to put your rubbish down your sink rather than compost it or throw it away?
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Hmmm, seitan for sure as I adore it, peanut butter and lots of veggies (cheating I know but I really can’t think of anything).
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Going out for huge pizzas when we lived in CA. There were 6 of us so pizzas were giant. We also always had a traditional Sunday lunch and Christmas dinner and those were always lovely meals.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
vanilla or chocolate Swedish Glace.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My food processor, although I use my stick blender more.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The Cranks Cookbook, it’s actually in pieces as one of my sister’s dogs ate it when I lived with her and I’ve not used it for years but I won’t throw it away, it was my first vegetarian cookbook.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
The only omni’s I cook for are my parents and my sister so I just make them whatever I feel like and they can live with it! My Dad has even stopped complaining now which is amazing!
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Seitan all the way, I can’t stand tempeh, ick.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I don’t mind. I am not that good at lunches though, they throw me. I like a good brunch but little kids tend to want to eat as soon as they get up.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
all my jars of flour, paper napkins for Jim’s lunches and all my tin foil, baking paper, sandwich bags etc.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
bread, frozen peas and Swedish Glace ice cream.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
cat food, tamari, night time nappies for Jim, yogurts…
21. Favorite grocery store?
Mattas International Supermarket in Liverpool, but I don’t get to go there anymore so a good Sainsburys will have to do.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
I can’t get yorkshire puddings right, I’d love to figure it out.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
I have 82 vegan blogs in Google Reader and I couldn’t choose.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
dairy free chocolate buttons, can’t remember who makes them but they’re in a purple packet.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
organic vegan chocolate spread.
And the second one!
1. If you have to choose between locally grown or organic, which do you usually choose?
I always go for Organic if I can, of course being local and organic is better but you can’t always get what you want.
2. Favorite way to prepare potatoes:
Roast with some sea salt.
3. Do you press your tofu before preparing/cooking it (if you eat soy)?
sometimes, depends what I’m doing with it and if I’ve planned ahead.
4. Name your favorite recipe that is a tradition in your family:
can’t think of any traditional family recipes.
5. Any food allergies?
6. When you want to go to a fancy dinner, where do you go?
There’s nowhere around here that I can eat out easily so I go to my kitchen.
7. When you have a cold, what do you crave?
usually noodles of some sort.
8. What kind of water do you drink? (Filtered, spring, tap, etc.)
tap, bottled is a waste of resources and a waste of money. My water is spring water too so it’s free. I should probably filter but having to remember to refill it annoys me and I always worry it’ll be a little staganant from standing there.
9. Name a flavor of soda you’d love to see:
not into fizzy stuff really.
10. If the recipes you ate as a child were compiled into a cookbook, what would the title be?
150 Ways to Feed a Family of 6 With 1lb of Hamburger and a Pudding.
11. If you were allowed to grow one food that can’t grow in your climate, what would it be?
12. Favorite type of mushroom?
I’m not a mushroom snob, I like them all.
13. Most frustrating part of your kitchen?
It was built by a man who didn’t cook. The piece of counter beside my cooker has a join in it which means that your chopping board doesn’t lie flat. It’s the most logical place to chop your vegetables so you can put them right into your pan but obviously he didn’t think of that as the counter the other side of the sink where a join wouldn’t have mattered at all is a single piece of counter top. (I will say though that he didn’t have his cooker where I have mind, although where mine is is the most logical place, he had his freestanding which I detest, where do you put your spoon down and how do you avoid throwing everything on the floor as you walk back and forth to the cooker?). There are also only 3 plugs in my kitchen that I can use (there are 2 that the microwave, fridge and freezer are plugged into too). I don’t mean 3 double plugs either, I mean 3 plugs, so they all have multi-plugs in them. There isn’t even a plug under the counter top for the washing machine and dishwasher, I have an extension cable running from one of the ones above the counter to behind the machines so they can be plugged in. I obviously have some repressed kitchen rage going on there as I went on for quite while huh?
14. Last food you burned?
some garlic last night, but not so badly I couldn’t use it.
15. Usual response to a veg*n’s favorite question, “But where do you get your protein?”:
you know, I’ve never ever been asked that question…..
16. If you were baking your own birthday cake today, what flavor would it be?
carrot cake, and I do have to bake my own cakes if I want one….
17. Favorite brand of chocolate chips?
I can only find one kind over here and I can’t remember what they’re called now…
18. You have $200 of your tax return reserved for Williams Sonoma– What do you buy?
what is Williams Sonoma?
19. Do you plan your menus in advance? Any tips to share?
yes, each week when my vegetable box arrives. I try and use what I have to hand already so I don’t have to shop for much and I tend to try and have one soup, one mexican or chinese meal, one pasta meal etc to give some variety. I mainly cook stuff that stands alone and doesn’t need side dishes as it’s faster in the evenings when the kids want to eat, but I also put in meals that need bread on the side or a vegetable if I have some that needs to be used up. I also try not to make chili two weeks in a row etc and I get out books I’ve not used for a while to see if they can offer us anything new rather than sticking to the same cookery books over and over again.
20. You have 3 minutes before you have to leave the house and you’re starving- What do you eat?
toast and eat it on the way. I *should* grab some fruit from the fruit bowl but I always forget it’s there even though it’s in plain sight….
21. If Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray got into a fight, who would win and how?
I don’t know who Paula Deen is and I’ve never seen Martha on tv so I don’t know how tough she is. However I have seen Rachel Ray and I think she could probably stand up for herself if need be, all that laughing she does has to suppress a whole lot of rage.
22. If you eat oatmeal, what do you add to it before serving?
milk and brown sugar or maple syrup.
23. If you got to travel to one country and learn all the traditional dishes there, where would you go (ignore commitments in your current place of residence)?
24. Favorite late night snack?
25. Favorite springtime food?
god it’s so cold here I can’t even think of spring or what food is available then! lol
26. Favorite food-related magazine?
don’t have one, although I think I’m getting Vegetarian Times for my Birthday.
27. Which do you prefer: shoyu, tamari, conventional soy sauce, or Bragg’s Aminos?
never used shoyu, I think all three have their place and you can’t just sub one for the other willy nilly.
28. What vegetable or fruit do you dislike the most?
I don’t like oranges and I’m not a big aubergine (eggplant) fan either.
29. Name a holiday food you look forward to all year long:
can’t think of one, I tend to make what I want whether it’s a holiday or not.
30. If you could convert anyone to veganism with your magic wand, who would you convert?
And the third one!
salads, although I was really fed up with them by the end of the summer, but I’ll be waiting eagerly for the first huge fresh salad next summer.
Hope that wasn’t too dull…..