I thought I’d mix it up a bit this week and show you the fruit first, aren’t I a rule breaker?!? I still have too much fruit in the house and did consider cancelling the fruit bag but I do still *want* to eat fruit and so having it around makes that easier, now I just have to get into the habit of actually picking it up and transferring it to my mouth…
As I mentioned I’ve not felt like eating this week so it took me a few days to come up with a not very inspired menu for this lot. I am feeling a lot better than I did so hopefully I will at least start enjoying the cooking a bit more even if I am still forcing myself to eat it.
This week we got spinach, brussel sprouts, swede, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, potatoes, carrots and a leek. Did you hear my scream of joy when I saw there wasn’t any broccoli in this box??!! I still have half a bag to get around to freezing and I cut up, blanched and froze two whole swedes as well as we’re not keeping up with them, but at least they are to hand when I do need one as there will be a time no doubt (although it doesn’t feel like it at the moment) when we won’t be getting swedes for a while and that is always when you find the perfect recipe for what you don’t have!
So, this week (no boys at the weekend) we will be having
1. Pizza at Jim’s request, I will have some mushrooms on mine and he will just have cheese and pineapple with red sauce as he calls it. I’ll use the recipes from Vegan With a Vengeance for the base and sauce like I always do.
2. Roasted vegetables – told you I was uninspired. This will use up some sprouts, swede, carrots, potatoes and the half a squash I have in the fridge still from last week, I think there’s also a forgotten green pepper for some dish I didn’t get around to making that I can use up too. I don’t know what I’ll serve it with yet, I’ll figure that out on the day.
3. Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie – Veganomicon. I will do the crust for this but I won’t be adding the olives this time as I don’t have any, they always go off when I buy them as I don’t use them fast enough and Jim won’t touch them so it’s a bit of a waste really to put them in!
4. Carrot Soup – yes, the usual fallback for when I have a fridge full of carrots, but Jim is really into carrots at the moment, we all enjoy this soup and it’s easy so it will be ok to do on the Sunday morning before I go out for lunch on the way to pick up the boys.
5. Mac and Cheese Florentine – Fresh From The Vegetarian Slow Cooker. This is basically mac and cheese with bean and cashew sauce with some spinach thrown in. Jim loves mac and cheese and I’ve had great success getting him to eat green leafy veg of late so hopefully it will be a winner.
There will be some leeks leftover which I will have with pasta over the weekend and also half the sprouts which I will enjoy roasted probably with one of the leftover seitan sausages out of the freezer the other night I’m on my own.