Another vegetable box! Sometimes if feels like a lot less than a week between them and other times it feels like forever, I guess it depends on how much I feel like cooking and how many vegetables I get that are already in my fridge!
This week we got onions, potatoes, leeks, parsnips (yum, I love parsnips), brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms and carrots. This seemed like a really big box to me, some weeks it seems like we don’t get very much and then there are boxes like this with tons of different things in them, I guess it all depends on availability and the time of year.
I used up the mushrooms in the stir fry I didn’t blog about as how interesting can stir fry really be?!? I also used up the leeks in the dish I will post about tomorrow so those didn’t need to go into the menu, obviously.
My plan for this week is as follows:
1. Chickpea Cutlets Veganomicon with roasty potatoes (as Jim calls them!) and swede and carrots.
2. Lasagna Marinara with Spinach Veganomicon with garlic bread.
3. Red Lentil and Cauliflower Curry Veganomicon (couldn’t seem to put the book away and find another one!) with rice.
4. Vegetable and Brown Rice Burritos Vegetarian Times Low Fat and Fast Mexican. I will be omitting the mushrooms and using double peppers in these instead.
5. Cauliflower Patties from the freezer with potatoes and brussel sprouts.
6. Tofu and Kale Spanakopita Vegan Planet. Yes, I’m going to brave phyllo again. I’m sure there should probably be a side dish with this but I can’t think of anything besides salads which the boys won’t eat.
I’m looking forward to the lasagna and burritos a lot from the menu, I have a craving for both of them so hopefully I’ll still be in the mood once I get around to making them! Only 6 dishes this time as I did pasta one night this week instead of something off the menu so I still have the curry to make from Get It Ripe. I haven’t used a lot of the carrots, the parsnips or the many swedes I seem to have in the fridge so I feel some winter soup or stew coming up next week, perhaps with dumplings, to empty out the fridge drawers a little bit.
This is the fruit for the week
I have cancelled the fruit now. We just aren’t eating it besides the bananas and I can pick up a bunch of those for much cheaper than I am paying for the fruit I’m watching rot and not being able to motivate myself to eat. Perhaps when it’s warmer if I find myself buying a lot of fruit at the supermarket I will go back to getting the fruit with the vegetables but for now it’s an extra £5 a week I can spend on something else.