It’s a big box this week, I guess they vary in size a bit depending on what’s available at the time. We got carrots, onions, potatoes, celeriac, kale, chard, mushrooms and a savoy cabbage.
The plan for this week is:
1. Basmati Rice With Chard and Chickpeas – Veganomicon
2. Potato and Kale Enchiladas – Veganomicon
3. Szechaun Vegetables with Rice – Vegan Fire and Spice
4. Carrot Soup and bread (we’re swimming in carrots again and I gave a big bag of them to my parents and sister!)
5. Pie with tvp chunks, carrots, celery, swede and anything else I can find in the fridge served with potatoes
6. Italian Style Cabbage and Beans – 366 Healthful Ways to Cook Tofu
7. Seitan Scaloppine with Lemon Sauce – Fat Free Vegan Kitchen served with roasted celeriac and carrots
Anyone got any celeriac recipes in case I get more in the box? I couldn’t find anything interesting in my books when I looked and nothing came up that I liked the look of in a short search online. Thanks!
I didn’t take a picture of the Roasted Butternut Squash Soup that I made last night, it’s just more orange soup so it doesn’t really need one I guess! I had another butternut squash given to me so I had enough for the recipe without having to add carrots as had originally been my plan. You roast the squash and then fry the onion, some chilis (I used a tiny bit of dried chipotle and it gave a lovely smoky flavour), garlic and ginger. Then you add the stock and the squash and blend it up. After it’s heated through you add some lime juice and maple syrup.
I have to admit I was sceptical about the lime juice, I really didn’t think that it would work with the other flavours but I was totally wrong. It added a really nice depth of flavour and tasted great with all the other ingredients, incluidng the chipotles. Jim didn’t eat any soup as he was ill (he threw up in the ex’s car on the way to meet me and then again in bed last night, he is at home today but seems better) but Piggle wolfed down a huge bowl and there are a ton of leftovers so I will try it on Jim, give Piggle some and have some more myself for lunch today. It’s such a simple recipe and doesn’t call for anything that I wouldn’t have to hand when squash arrives in the box so I’m sure I’ll make it again, it will make a change from carrot soup anyway!