I decided to go back to menu planning so I’m not walking into the kitchen at 5pm with no idea what I’m going to put on the table at 6. Also we have a lot of vegetables at the moment with it being summer and I want to make sure I use everything up.
We’ve been getting a fruit bag each week as well as our organic vegetable box and I make the boys a smoothie every morning so they are getting lots of vitamins to start the day. We’re getting a nice variety this summer, the winter was a little dull, but I do wish I could find somewhere to buy organic blueberries, strawberries and other soft fruits in bulk.
Anyway, here is the menu that Jim and I came up with after dinner tonight for the next week. The boys are with their Dad at the weekend so we didn’t need a whole weeks worth.
- White Bean Sausages with Braised Cabbage, Apple and Potatoes all from Blooming Platter. I’ve not used this book before so it will be a good test of it. I’ll be substituting more vegetable stock for the beer called for in the cabbage recipe.
- Veggies and Dumplings from Vegan Diner. I’ll be using cauliflower rather than broccoli in this as that’s what I have in the fridge.
- Sainsburys Nut Roasts, new potatoes and Roasted Cauliflower and Courgettes from Vegan Family Meals. Not really a great first test recipe from this book but I’ve not roasted cauliflower before and thought I’d give it a go.
- Pasta with some kind of cheese sauce with mushrooms (can’t make complicated food every night!).
- Coleslaw from Vegan Deli with Philly Cheese Sliders from Best Veggie Burners. Jim thought seitan with cheese sauce poured over it in a french roll sounded wonderful so I will give it a go for him! I don’t have any white miso for the cheese sauce as Clearspring are having issues with their suppliers I presume because of the problems in Japan, anyone got a sub they use for it?
So, we’ll see if I can actually stick to a menu after all this time or not and whether I can post about the meals once I’ve made them or not!